Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Water for Elephants Review

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Genre:  Historical Novel

Pages:  335

Published:  2007

I think somewhere recently online I saw someone likened this book to a combination of The Notebook with a 1920's-30's Circus backdrop.  Needless to say I didn't think that at all.  The story at it's core has what all good stories aim to have, love triangles, murder, a questioning of morals, historical accuracy, flashbacks, a memoir in parts, and as a bonus it's rooted in a traveling Depression era Circus.

Without spoiling it for those of you that haven't read this yet, I'll give you a sampling of what the book's about.

Essentially, Jacob, a student learns of his parents sudden death and where that leaves him.  He's struck with grief and seeks an escape from his present life.  That escape just happens to be inadvertently jumping a circus train.  He goes through trials and tribulations but discovers love in more than one way in his years traveling with the circus.

I actually enjoyed this book and it was relatively a quick read.  I thought the characters were strong.  It's evident that the author did quite a bit of research for the book, which is something I can always appreciate.  This book does have the flashback aspect to it, flashing from the present to the past and back again throughout.  I think Sara Gruen did an excellent job with it though.  This book actually made me want to see the film adaptation now as well as read her other books.

Rating:    4/5


Reanna

No comments:

Post a Comment